A few Christmases ago, I gave Noah an electric fondue pot. We used to make cheese fondue all.the.time, but I think we kind of forgot about it for awhile. We made some Saturday night, and man-oh-man, it was just as delicious as I'd remembered.
I thought I'd share the recipe with you, in case you want to recreate some of this magic. It's called Cheddar, Onion, Apple & Hard Cider Fondue, and I found it in the Cuisinart booklet that came with our fondue pot. We halved the recipe (it serves 8) & used regular cider instead of hard cider.
1-1/2 pounds shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 ounce chopped shallot
1/2 cup finely diced tart apple
2-1/2 cups hard cider
cubes of crusty bread
apple wedges (toss in lemon juice to prevent from turning brown)
Place the shredded cheese in a large bowl and sprinkle with the cornstarch and dry mustard; toss to coat.
Heat the butter in the pot using setting 3-1/2. Cook the shallot and apple in the butter until tender & golden, and 3-4 minutes. Add 2 cups of the hard cider and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to setting 3-4, and with the cider simmering, gradually add the shredded cheese, a handful at a time, while whisking with a plastic or coated whisk. If mixture seems too thick, whisk more of the reserved cider as needed. To serve, keep the temperature set at setting 3.
Serve with crusty bread & wedges of tart apple.
(We also served ours with steamed veggies.)
Enjoy!





rats on you!
ReplyDeleteas if i wasn't hungry enough!
This looks awesome! Really it looks so good and now I am going to have to go to the store and get the ingredients to make this. Great Blog!
ReplyDeletemmmm .. cheese :)
ReplyDeletethat sounds delicious! the other night my husband was asking about fondue and wanting to go to the melting pot. then i got a groupon for the melting pot {and didn't buy} ... i think this recipe will make up for not buying the groupon!
ReplyDelete