![]() |
| via thxthxthx |
One of my dad's many catch phrases is "be kind". It would always bother me so much when he said that to my brother & me. To me, "be kind" was a lazy way of lecturing, of parenting. Now that I'm older, I see that my dad didn't need {or want} a lecture to get his point across. He needed merely two words..."be kind." As I undertake this project of kindness, I'm sure I'll hear his voice in my mind often; those two simple words that are the best lesson he ever gave me.
A reason I've chosen kindness as my focus this year is that I've been told a lot that I come across as a cold person, not a mean person, just cold. That might have to do with my mantra of "no unnecessary touch" {what can I say, I'm not a hugger} and my blunt attitude. But, I really need to work on that. A moment of discomfort for me might be worth the comfort I can give someone who needs a hug so much that they seek it from my arms. A few years ago, my mom gave me a hug and, as I squirmed away, she said, "I thought you might need it." Finally fully out of her embrace, I told her matter-of-factly that I didn't, in fact, need it. She grabbed me again and whispered, "Maybe I do." You guys, I need to hug my mom more.
I'm an ambitious lady, so of course my 2011 goals include eating right, exercising, reading more, investing wisely, being a good cat mommy, etc. But the area I could really use work in is being kind.
Loosely what this means is...
*showing more affection
*locking up the negatives in my head, until they just go away
*donating my time & money more liberally
*giving Noah more reasons to love me
*smiling more
I'm pretty psyched about 2011.


This is quite the goal for the new year. I'm impressed and super excited for you! It can be so hard to be nice and kind sometimes. Trust me, it takes everything in me to give kindness to a person I dislike or don't trust. Venting to others (David most of the time) helps get it out and move on from that person, hah. So there's my advice for you--don't leave all those negative thoughts and feelings in your head or else it might just explode one day and that will not be pretty :) Good Luck!
ReplyDeletexoxo
i love this goal. have a lovely new years!
ReplyDeleteThese are beautiful goals. Much more quality and worth than trying to lose a few pounds!
ReplyDeleteThank you for all your kindness you show me in 2009, 2010 and comming soon... :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post! Happy New Year to you!
ReplyDelete